[Wylug-help] grub loader

Don Magee don at donsnet.dyndns.org
Sat May 22 10:16:16 BST 2004

I've got this to work with the following grub.conf entry, more by trial
and error than intellect.

title windows XP
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

The disk setup is

hda1   windows
hdb    dvd drive
hdc1   ntfs data partition
hdd1   /boot
hdd4   /   linux opsys

The bios is a 2003 amibios on a soltek motherboard set to boot from hdd.

The best theory so far is that the bios ignores the dvd drive and
presents grub with

primary master          ide0     (hd0)
secondary master        ide1     (hd1)
secondary slave         ide2     (hd2)

if set to boot from the primary master
but remaps to boot from the secondary slave

primary master          ide1     (hd1)
secondary master        ide2     (hd2)
secondary slave         ide0     (hd0)

Does this make sense?

It isn't very satisfactory getting things to work by poking around in
the dark. Does anyone know how you to get this to work without using
trial and error?

Don Magee