[Wylug-help] ADSL Recommendations?

Dan Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 9 10:28:49 GMT 2004

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 21 Oct 2004 17:32, Dan Walker wrote:
>
>>However, they seem to be having terrible trouble convincing BT that I
>>actually want to do this, so I can't comment on performace yet, and Im
>>pretty sure it's a dynamic IP.
>>

> It would be interesting to hear of your experiences once it settles down.

Report as promised:

Once BT gave up rejecting the line transfer, the ADSL was actually set
up quite quickly, although the phone line transfer only actually became
active today.

A couple of points:

The 'free' ADSL USB modem only arrived yesterday; I had no intention of
using it, so my ADSL line has been useable since last Thursday, but it's
pretty slow response if you *do* need the freebie. It does come with two
microfilters, which is nice.

The intro letter says the Tech Support is open 8am to midnight; actually
it's only open until 9pm. I am charitably assuming they've changed hours
between the posting of the letter and my phone call.

Having said all that, when I did ring Tech Support, I said "Hi, I
haven't got my ADSL modem yet, but the line's up, I can see it on my
existing ADSL modem, what's the username/password/other settings?" and
the chap checked my ID and then told me what I needed to know without
telling me to reboot Windows or run the supplied CD. He wasn't at all
phased by the "And is is PPPoE or PPPoA?" question, either. Good show!

The actual connection has been nice and speedy. I haven't noticed any
outages yet.

Dan