[Wylug-help] How to Query the DNS

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Oct 22 14:53:55 BST 2004

--
On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 14:28, Dave Whiteley wrote:
> Bit of help please.
>
> Is there any simple (linux) way of finding all the names associates
> with a particular IP address?

Dave,

Unless the DNS server that handles the PTR records for the netblock has
multiple PTR records for the address you're querying, you can't.

In an ideal world, the zone file for the netblock would look like this:

44.33.22.11.in-addr.arpa	PTR	machine.hosts.tld.
44.33.22.11.in-addr.arpa	PTR	some.site.tld.
44.33.22.11.in-addr.arpa	PTR	another.website.tld.

These reverse DNS entries are not required for virtual hosting to work
though, and are rarely provided (rarely = 0.01% of the time in this
case).

Virtual hosting is a function of the webserver. The only way you can get
a list of what sites a particular box serves is to look in the
httpd.conf file.

HTTP requests for virtual hosts look like this:

GET /somefile.html
Host: some.site.tld

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though!

James