[Wylug-help] OT - IP routing with failover

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 11:35:25 BST 2004

I know this is OT so if you want, next time you see me you can stick
your tongue out and point!!

I know there are a number of net admins out where and hopefully someone
can help.

I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is pretty basic IP routing and
would just like it confirming. Also if anyone can tell me how to
program the Cisco's I'd appreciate it.

The situation is:

Site 1 10.1.0.0/16 has an ADSL router at 10.1.1.16
Site 2 10.2.0.0/16 has an ADSL router at 10.2.1.16

The two sites are linked via a leased line connected using a pair if
Cisco 16xx routers.

Both ADSL routers are configured to NAT outbound connections and both
are connected to the same remote network.

Each host (Linux or Windows) has routes to their local ADSL router with
the default matrix (0 for Linux, 1 for Windows).

The Cisco's know nothing of these ADSL routers.

I want to configure the network so that if one of the ADSL routers
fails, the network will automatically use the other one so I thought:

Add a route to each ADSL pointing to the other site
Add a route to each host with a higher matrix pointing to the Cisco
Add a route pointing to the local ADSL router to each Cisco
Add a route with a higher matrix pointing to the remote ADSL router to
each Cisco

Will this work?
Have I missed anything?
How do I program the Ciscos?