[Wylug-help] Mounting a USB digital camera

Felix Ulrich-Oltean felix at chaptereight.com
Fri Oct 29 17:02:48 BST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 04:38:41PM +0100, James Holden wrote:
> --
> Felix,
>
> Mount can give silly and misleading error messages sometimes.
>
> Have you tried to mount it read-only?
>
> # mount -o ro -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

# mount -o ro -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

> The FAT16 that fdisk reports is just the partition type from the
> partition table. It doesn't examine the filesystem. Try this (as root):
>
> # file -sL /dev/sda1
>
> You should get something like this:
>
> /dev/sda1: x86 boot sector

Yep, indeed:

# file -sL /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1: x86 boot sector

> Can you mount a MS-DOS formatted floppy?
>
> # mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy (assuming /mnt/floppy exists, and
> you have a floppy A: drive)

Sadly my floppy drive is bust, so i can't try it out.

> I'm assuming the device is readable because fdisk is able to read the
> partition table and that it's reading it correctly. It shows a 512MB
> device. Correct?

yes.

> Can you mount it as filesystem type 'msdos' instead? Maybe some
> corruption or non-standardness is confusing the vfat driver.

# mount -o ro -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

The other strange thing is I have similar trouble on 2 separate
machines, both of which run Debian - one's an Intel PII with an uhci
usb host thingy, the other is an AMD 1.8GHz work machine with an
ohci usb host bridge.  I'm usually prepared for a bit of extra pain
with Debian when it comes to some things, but I don't want to admint
defeat on this one ;-)

Felix.