[Wylug-help] Printing

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Sun Sep 12 23:13:05 BST 2004

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> On Sunday 12 Sep 2004 14:45, John Erskine wrote:
>> I'm having problems printing at the moment. I'm a Linux Newbie so pardon
>> what may seem like quite a gormless query.
>>
>> I use SuSE Linux 9.1 Personal running on a Dell Dimension 4600, and my
>> printer is a Canon MP370.
>>
>> Canon don't supply a Linux driver for this device, but I was able to get a
>> proprietary one from a German company called Turboprint, which was working
>> fine, until recently. This operates partly Open Source, but to get it
>> working without advertising you need to purchase a key code, which I did.
>> Unfortunately, I think that at some stage I've altered the printer path
>> which sends output to the USB port where the printer is connected, with the
>> result that jobs seem to sit in Kjobviewer and go nowhere, and when I check
>> the job report it says printer stopped, which it isn't.
>>
>> Any ideas on how I check the paths, and start to get printing again?
>>
> Hi, John.  I don't have SuSe, a Canon printer or Turboprint, so this is pure
> guesswork.  Have you looked at the .conf files under /etc/cups?

The best bet is DeviceURI in printers.conf for your print queue setup.

Also, check the logs (/var/log/cups/error_log) and the web interface
(http://localhost:631/printers).  That should tell you what the
problem is.

Personally, I would avoid non-free printing solutions and printer
manufacturers which don't provide open specifications or drivers: they
will only cause grief in the long term, and they do nothing to improve
the ease of use and print quality of free software printing solutions.

For Turboprint, your best bet is to ask the company that make it: not
many people use it, and it's not free software.  However, much of it
is a thin wrapper around CUPS plus a proprietary filter and an
xpp/gtklp/kprinter-like front-end.

Regards,
Roger

--