[Wylug-help] Newbie-"Notworking"

David Noble dnoble7 at ukonline.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 00:39:14 BST 2005

Help again please,

    Having got used to routinely using linux ( Mepis at present ) for all
internet stuff,  I'm trying to set up a  network link to my Win98 box  using
a cat5 crossover cable, as I did with two Win98 boxes.
    I do not wish the 98 PC to share my internet connection .  My
connection to the internet is by Dial-up (Kppp) using a V90/56k external modem
on com2 (ttyS1...I think that's the linux term).   Then I configured my
network cards in the two boxes with static IP address etc..  and was actually
able to ping the Win PC ....Hooray ! from linux , but not the other way
round.
                                However at this stage I then discovered that
having  dialled up and connected I could no longer access the internet..!
This was only remedied by re-configuring my network card to DHCP ..and
no networking.
                              Questions :-
   1)       In what way is the card involved in internet access, even if I
             remove the cable  the problem remains.
   2)       Is there a simple fix for this.
   3)       Would fitting a second network card set with static addresses
              be the answer.

        I,ll get to the the Samba/Lisa stuff later when I,ve got overthis
hurdle .
    Thanks again in advance,           David