[Wylug-help] Where are ifconfig, route etc under FC4?

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Aug 12 09:20:42 BST 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Philip Wyett wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 19:24 +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> I've just been playing around with FC4 under Xen, but I can't seem to
>> find tools like ifconfig and route which are supposed to be in the
>> nettools rpm ... although I can find netstat.
>>
>> Have they been deprecated in the RH world or subsumed under new names,
>> etc?
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Dave,
>
> These are still in the RH world and provided in net-tools.
>
> Note: These are not base path and need you to /sbin/appname to execute.

You must have a very low opinion of FC4 to think that they'd get rid of those
commands.

For future reference:

Assuming it's installed (which I suspect it is):

$ whereis ifconfig
ifconfig: /sbin/ifconfig /usr/share/man/man8/ifconfig.8.gz

On the off chance it isn't installed:

$ yum provides /sbin/ifconfig
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories

net-tools.i386                           1.60-52                installed
Matched from:
/sbin/ifconfig

Or even perhaps:

$ yum search ifconfig
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories

net-tools.i386                           1.60-52                base
Matched from:
The net-tools package contains basic networking tools, including
ifconfig, netstat, route, and others.

gnome-nettool.i386                       1.2.0-1                base
Matched from:
GNOME Nettool is a set of front-ends to various networking command-line
tools, like ping, netstat, ifconfig, whois, traceroute, finger.

net-tools.i386                           1.60-52                installed
Matched from:
The net-tools package contains basic networking tools, including
ifconfig, netstat, route, and others.

jh

--
"Disney has the best casting.  If he doesn't like an actor, he just tears him
  up."                                                -- Alfred Hitchcock