[Wylug-help] External DVD ROM/CDR-CDRW

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Feb 14 11:20:00 GMT 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 dnoble7 at ukonline.co.uk wrote:

> More help please,
>                 I am wanting to add an external DVD ROM/CDR-CDRW to my
> Mandrake 9.2 box and would appreciate any advice or warnings about
> getting such a drive to work with Linux, also any suggestions as to
> which makes may be most easily accepted.
>                 There would also appear to be the possibility of either a
> complete unit or a caddy plus separate drive unit.  This latter would
> seem to offer more flexibility and I  think this may be preferable.

Only external CDRW I've used was firewire, and that working perfectly from the
installer onwards.  Just used the sbp2 driver automatically (with fedora 1,
but I'd presume anything vaguely modern would work) then appeared as a generic
SCSI burner.

Having a peruse of the hardware compatibility list here might be interesting.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php?cat=197

General feeling seems to be "it just works".

jh

--
"I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty,
  you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and say to