[Wylug-help] Re: simple iptables rule

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 09:51:01 GMT 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 lee at leeevans.org wrote:

> you're not telling it what you want to do (append, insert, delete?) or where
> you want to do it (INPUT, OUTPUT, FORWARD?). Looking at those commands it
> looks like the first is relevant to INPUT and the second OUPUT - but I'd
> also assume you dont want to restrict outgoing internet traffic to the
> single IP? In which case you don't want the second.
>
> working that way you want
>
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -s ! your.ip.goes.here -j DROP

You're quite right.  My bad for not properly engaging my brain before posting,
and even then taking two posts to get it wrong.

The second line was pedantry on my part, since that seemed to match the spec.

jh

--
"I want to tell you a terrific story about oral contraception.  I asked this
  girl to sleep with me and she said 'no'."           -- Woody Allen