[Wylug-help] apt/dpkg woes

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 00:16:39 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 08:48:56PM +0000, Jason Lander wrote:

> Dave,
>
> > >    dpkg-deb --info \
> > >      /var/cache/apt/archives/login_1%3a4.0.3-30.7ubuntu9_i386.deb
>
> Sorry. Cut-and-pasted the wrong .deb from the message.
>
> Do you get the same messages for for the libvideo-ivtv-perl .deb.

No, it is impossible to do such queries, because I've previously
'clean'ed the cache of the archived libvideo-ivtv-perl .deb and I can't
install a new one.

But I think I may just spotted the basic problem: apt believes that the
package is already installed, but it almost certainly isn't.  I suspect
one of my previous attempts to remove the package may have actually
succeeded in deleting the files, but failed to update apt properly.

locate reports no script/binary files with related names, although there
are doc files in /usr/share/doc.

Without the cache, I can't identify binary/script names on my system
from the libvideo-ivtv-perl package unless I already know their names
... which I don't.

OTOH, a bit of googling might find them on the web tomorrow.

Dave