[Wylug-help] Smoothwall and wireless

Andrew Teal a.teal at hud.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 13:59:49 GMT 2005

Hi, I seem to have got to something of a dead end by trying to do two things at once with insufficient knowledge ...

Previously I had a free-standing dual-boot PC on an ISDN connection and decided to upgrade to broadband. I was reluctant to do this without proper defences. I got hold of an old PC, a new BeWAN ADSL PCI modem and a Belkin 54g wireless Access point and installed Smoothwall express. I installed a matching wireless network card in the pc:
	[BT] -- Smoothwall -- (with existing network card) -- Access Point
									(wireless)
										Network card -- PC
This will also allow two kids with laptops and wireless capability to have access to broadband from home, and make it easier for me to use Linux ;) etc, etc (but first the boss needs her PC).
Everything seemed ok but I now need to use the admin interface to Smoothwall to configure it, and the network isn't working, so I guess there's something I don't know. Things I've noticed and/or tried:
The pc talks to the access point, which has a factory set IP of 192.168.2.254 and gateway 192.168.2.1. I was able to change the IP to 192.168.0.254 to match the default Smoothwall setting 192.168.0.1 (I didn't see an option to set the Gateway -- but neither did I look), but to no avail. So I changed Smoothwall to 192.168.2.1 (which on writing this I see is the same as the AP's Gateway, which can't be right ??). I changed the DHCP settings to match, but again with no effect.
Setting the PC Network control panel to share files and folders at least got the PC showing on network neighbourhood and stopped the error message 'no network' -- is there an equivalent that I haven't heard of on Smoothwall?
The AP appears 'live' -- both LAN and WLAN leds show green.
The Smoothwall installation picked up the ethernet and modem cards -- should I have told it separately about the AP plugged into the ethernet? If so, how?
Obviously I don't have email access at home at present, but would be grateful for any ideas of what to do or try ...

Andrew Teal      Information Technologist
School of Human & Health Sciences
HW1/05, University of Huddersfield,
Queensgate, Huddersfield, HD1 3DH
< a.teal at hud.ac.uk >  Tel: 01484 473674