[Wylug-help] Mail server problem

Darran Rimron darran at xalior.com
Sun Feb 27 14:51:17 GMT 2005

Anne Wilson wrote:

> >does telnet'ing, from "localhost" to the real IP on port 123 work?
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking.

Your machine has two (atleast) IP addresses. 127.0.0.1 listening on lo
and 192.168.0.30 on eth. Testing against 127.0.0.1 (the address that
localhost resolves to) is often a pointless test.

>   I tried telnet 198.162.0.30 110 on the
> server as well as on the remote box, if that's what you mean, and got the
> 'connection refused' message in both cases.

In which case your pop3d isn't responding/listening.  Check to see where
you xinetd is logging and have a peep to see if there's any clues on
*WHY* your inetd isn't answering requests.

Simplest case to test/play with (when new to xinetd) can be chargen as
xinetd uses a "builtin" (they call it type=INTERNAL iirc) handler for
this.- extra handy as you know that no-one on your LAN is going to be
using this so if you break it beyond words (pretty hard!) no-one will now ;)

xinetd also supports a couple of handy command line switches, at start
time (on debian they can be set in /etc/defaults/xinetd - on mandrake
*shrug* investigate /etc/init.d/xinetd - or whatever your startup script
is called) - ones worth looking at are -syslog and -d (for debug) - more
details in man xinetd, of course.

HTH, D