[Wylug-help] Mdk10.1 with loopy GRUB

Darran Rimron darran at xalior.com
Sun Feb 27 21:27:55 GMT 2005

dnoble7 at ukonline.co.uk wrote:

>			As soon as I click on Linux,   or if I just let it default to linux after
> the usual few seconds delay, then immediately the computer starts to reboot.
>			No start is made to load the kernel.

It could be that your entry for Linux points to the wrong place. (and
thus grub is exec'ing nonsence and rebooting)

Examine your entry (by editing it as apposed to booting it from the grub
UI) - check it's right. The fact you get this problem when booting from
floppy too could mean a couple of things:

1) You persistantly get it wrong (sorry, that sounds really harsh!)
2) The kernel installed is not compatible with your CPU and is exec'ing
an instruction that's thus plain invalid.  Does your distribution offer
options on which type of kernel it's installed?
3) Grub's buggered! That version is just buggy on your CPU/Mb/Combo
(seeing some of this, actually, on a distribution I am writing
currently) - boot from rescue CD and see if there's a package upgrade.

-cheers, D