[Wylug-help] Mandrake has seriously screwed up just by doing media updates

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Sat Jan 15 11:10:32 GMT 2005

Quoting Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>:

> On Friday 14 Jan 2005 18:40, C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk wrote:
> > Mandrake 10.1
> >
> > Wanted to look at security updates.  First I opted to update my media from
> > the Mandrakelinux Control Centre.
> >
> > I updated media - bt ran into terrible issues thereafter.  If I call
> > correctly, I had a system freeze.  So, I logged out/restarted my PC.
> >
> > I thought it odd that after logging back in, I was greeted by the Mandrake
> > Welcome screen (I'd turned it off previously).  Then I noticed that my
> > system was screwed-up - a number of apps were 'lost' >
> > Firefox1/Thunderbird/and the entire StarOffice7, as well as all my
> > bookmarking in Konqueror browser.
> >
> > Worse still, all my own directories and all content (i.e. all my work) have
> > also just 'disappeared'.
> >
> > On opening a console instead of  the line being[chris at localhost]$ all I now
> > have is:
> >
> > bash-2.05b$
> >
> > I filed a report with bugzilla - but this might take an age for a response
> > - any suggestions?  On mandrake 9.2 there was a bug with the updates which
> > lost a lot of desktop icons, this was corrected with a comamnd line
> > instruction.
> >
> > I'm rather desparate as there was some unbacked work - yes, stupid I know,
> > but I didn't realise that doing an update would cause me so much concern -
> > has Mandrake always had update issues?
> >
> There have been times when people have tried to update from a mirror that
> was,
> apparently, mid-update itself - shouldn't happen, but apparently it sometimes
> has done.  I guess the first thing to do is to get your update databases
> sorted out, with
>
> urpmi.update -a
>
> Then it should be possible to
>
>  urpmi --update --auto-select
>
> and get all your packages back into working order - fingers crossed <g>
>
> Anne
> - --

Thanks for this Anne.

I tried what you said but it didn't work.  So, I removed all my media sources in
the MCC, went back to easy urpmi and re selected all my mirrors, then followed
the commands given in your reply.

When It came to

>  urpmi --update --auto-select

it recognised the need to install 3 packages, however the installation failed as
some files were missing, and that:

"You may want to update your urpmi database
RL returned error: 404
...retrieving failed: curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404"

But hadn't I already updated the database when I  reselected my mirrors after
removing them in the MCC?  Or, do I need to remove my mirror sources again and
select from elsewhere, or is there a command line instruction I can use to
update the database - I've tried urpmi urpmi, looked at the #man page, and also
an faq on the MUB - but being told to update my database at this stage has
confused me.

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk