[Wylug-help] usb pendrives

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 11:27:16 GMT 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk wrote:

> I'm afraid that in my opinion this IS one place where linux sucks somewhat.
> The handling of removable media in windows has always been so much easier
> for the end user than in Unix-like systems.

I think this is an area that is nearly fixed.  Fedora Core 3* seems to be up
to coping with this nicely with hal/udev/hotplug/dbus fun conspiring to
dynamically generate fstab entires for devices and all working swimingly.

As opposed to my windows XP box at home that doesn't bother making the drive
letters for my card reader unless I boot with it connected.  When I do connect
it, it creates 5 drive letter for all the different cards I *could* plug into
it, even though I only ever use the one...

jh

*other distros are available that no doubt do it just as well if not better...

--
"Computer science is as much about computers as astronomy is about
  telescopes."                                        -- Edsgar Wybe Dijkstra