[Wylug-help] Re: [Wylug-discuss] Portage build options

Dylan fritz at ananzi.co.za
Tue Jan 25 11:00:38 GMT 2005

Solved. Kind of.

> There was (is?) a section on the Gentoo site on how to run the
> ./configure routine by hand when emerging - won't this allow you to
> handle your problem?

I tried to run the ebuild step by step, which helped me to realize the
problem, but createdx other problems.

>   Otherwise it sounds like you're going to have to make (hack the
> current) a new ebuild file for mplayer, which passes the options you
> want to the configure, if you want to do it time and time again, and
> hope they take it up stream....

I've found the solution, if somewhat inelegant.  I did hack the .ebuild
file manually. It seems the compile option I want
(--enable-runtime-cpudetection) is not modified by any USE flags, hence
my original problem. However, this means that once I've modified the
ebuild file manually, that particular option will not be reverted by any
other USE flag.

Of course, every subsequent update to mplayer will have to be manually
modified. I guess this is why USE flags are so helpful.

I've never actually sent any bug reports etc. and I'm not sure how I
should handle this. What should I send? Where should I send it?

Dylan