[Wylug-help] Tape drive advice

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Jan 25 14:10:32 GMT 2005

Gary Stainburn wrote:

>On Tuesday 25 Jan 2005 11:41 am, James Holden wrote:
>

>>Gary Stainburn wrote:
>>

>>>Hi folks
>>>
>>>I'm looking to install a 80GB HDD and a tape drive into one of my
>>>linux boxes to create a network backup server. The tape drive
>>>should have at least 40GB capacity.
>>>
>>>I've been looking at the stuff available from CCL  -
>>>http://www.cclonline.com/product-categories.asp?category_id=148 -
>>>and wondered what people's opinions of the various devices are.
>>>

>>Gary,
>>
>>As you'll have noticed, serious tape drives are:
>>
>>1) SCSI
>>2) Expensive
>>
>>...so I'm assuming this is for work, right?
>>

>Yep sur ee Bob
>

>>There are various holy wars still raging of DDS vs DLT vs Whatever,
>>but it doesn't really matter what you choose. I have no experience of
>>IDE/USB/Whatever drives, only SCSI.
>>

>I'm looking at the SCSI ones but have had experience of controllers not
>working with Linux. I'm looking at the Adaptec AVA 2904 - Any comments
>anyone?

Dunno about that specific model, but my 2940 works nicely. My tape drive
is on it.

>>Don't rely on the compression doing what is says it will do. It works
>>for MS Office files and sometimes executables, but many things are
>>already compressed, eg: gif/jpeg files, OpenOffice.org documents. The
>>2:1 compression is a maximum. You might not get any compression at
>>all.
>>

>The system I'm currently looking at is NTBackup to a Samba share, then
>backup that to tape, so I'm guessing there'll be no compression at all
>on the tape.

Probably not.

>>SCSI tape drives have a fairly standard software interface. Linux
>>supports this reasonably well.
>>

>I'm now looking at the Certance CDL432 which is a 6 tape auto-loader.
>http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/Catalogue?id=(400533)&shop=PCWBD
>
>I'm hoping that from Linux I can select which tape(s) to back up to, so
>that I can have a weekly rotation without human intervention.  So far
>I've not had much success finding anything on doing this though.

AFAIK, tape changing is part of the standard command set for SCSI tapes.
Tape autoloaders have been around for years (and years).

>>Make sure any SCSI card you buy is suppored.
>>
>>You'll also need to budget for enough media to do a proper rotation
>>schedule, which might typically consist of 20 tapes, eg: (M, Tu, Th,
>>F, W1, W2, W3 W4, J, F, M, A M, J, J, A, S, O, N, D). Tapes can be
>>expensive, so this could add another 300 quid onto the bill.
>>
>>Don't forget the cleaning tape.
>>
>>Store the tapes somewhere sensible - cool, dry, vertical, away from
>>monitors and other sources of EMI. Preferably offsite. Don't put too
>>much trust in a fire safe.
>>

>So, putting them on the window ledge in my office isn't a good idea?

Probably not.

>>There is a variety of free/expensive backup software products. Amanda
>>is a good place to start (www.amanda.org).
>>

>I'll look into that because the current system of using NTBackup and the
>task scheduler ain't working.

Amanda can backup from Windows clients using the samba client.

James