[Wylug-help] usb pendrives

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 16:08:22 GMT 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Roger Greenwood wrote:

> > I'd add the noatime option after noauto too, and use the user, not users,
> > option.
> >
> > The user option allows users to be able to mount and unmount
> > the device and have read/write access.
> >
> > You cannot unmount a device when some process is accessing it. So close
> > all programs/gui's that were access the keydisk - or do something in the
> > logout stuff to shut everything down.
>
> But how do you find out what is accessing the device?

 fuser /mount_point_directory

gives the pid of the process accessing anything under that directory

 ps l pid

will give info on the what that process is.

Then use close the offending program - or kill it

 fuser -ik /mount_point_directory

kill all processes (with a query) accessing that directory -
use with care :-) Just use -k if you are feeling brave. The fuser manual
page has more info.

Jim