[Wylug-help] networking laptop woes

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 12 12:00:06 BST 2005

Acer 3000, brand new, with FC4 apparently satisfactorily loaded and
seeming to work OK except for networking on the LAN. Haven't tried
internet via modem or connecting to mobile yet. Looking at the various
files I am aware
of, /etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 all looks fine to me.

For comparison, I looked into those files on a FC4 workstation. No
differences I could spot. This morning I have loaded another workstation
with CentOS4.1 and it networked fine, same router (SMC Barricade) with
an 8-port switch hanging off it, on the same LAN, i.e. exactly as I'm
trying to set the laptop up, but I noticed that both workstations
have /etc/resolv.conf contents:

;generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search local.sys
nameserver 192.168.2.1

whereas the laptop only has the middle line. I entered the nameserver
line manually to no avail. Would it work if I were to run
the /sbin/dhclient-script and, if so, how do I get it to run? If not,
can someone tell me what might work?

I have tried two different cat5 cables and then tried the one hanging
out of the back of the new workstation - to no avail.

Thanks, as always - confident there's a network guru out there
somewhere!

Mike