[Wylug-help] hi to all, in need of some information....

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 09:39:31 BST 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, sonal wrote:

> hello,
> i am new to this website n to u all.
> i have just now started working on linux.
> i have 'linux' and 'windows 2000 professional' installed in my computer, and have internet connection, which i can access on windows operating system.
> as per my knowledge, linux is well protected from all viruses. and so i want to access internet on linux operating system. i have modem installed.
> so plz help me out
> tell me the procedure to connect internet to linux.
> thanx
> SaNa

Ok. Have you tried to find info on this on the web?

Try this for starters..........

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3206/1/

If your modem is a "WinModem" or similar you may well have problems.
These are reduced hardware with a lot of stuff being done in the software
drivers, and most do not have Linux drivers (the manufacturers don't
provide them and don't release enough info for people to write a driver).

Linux works fine with almost all external modems (the sort that are
connected to COM1 or COM2) and with internal "hardware" modems.