[Wylug-help] Creating disk images

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 17:13:51 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 16:52 +0100, Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:
> I need to look into setting up disk images for deploying several nodes
> in a data centre.  The kind of thing where you shove the CD in the box,
> turn it on, set a couple of things (like IP address), press enter, and
> the thing installs everything it needs off the CD.

I would normlly do this by an automated or scripted install.  Disk
images has a rather different meaning, although in the windows world I
believe the 2 concepts are confused.

> Can anyone point me to any useful online guides/articles/HOWTOs or any
> relevant disk-imaging software?  I think we're looking at installing
> Debian or Fedora.

Fedora (or a RedHat derived distribution, and I also believe Ubuntu) you
would do with kickstart.

This is documented best in the RHEL documentation, but is identical for
Fedora, and can be found in the sections under here:-
  http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/pt-install-info.html

or look at the system-config-kickstart tool and documentation for a GUI
front end to building the configuration file - however you probably need
to at least look at the other stuff to work out how it hangs together.

	Nigel.