[Wylug-help] Illegal characters in email addresses.

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Tue Jun 7 08:29:36 BST 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Simon Wood wrote:

> ---
> 2005-06-06 16:36:00 1DfQCO-0000TJ-3F <= Catherine_O'Brien at opusframing.ca H=localhost (mungewell.org) [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp
> S=1654 id=fc.000f7cf20013ddad3b9aca009cd41b91.13ddb5 at opusframing.ca 2005-06-06 16:36:00 1DfQCO-0000TJ-3F => kriszi <krisztina at mungewell.org> R=local_user T=mail_spool
> 2005-06-06 16:36:00 1DfQCO-0000TJ-3F Completed
> ---
> and then:
> ---
> 2005-06-06 17:57:51 H=localhost (slone.mungewell.org) [127.0.0.1] F=<krisztina at mungewell.org> rejected RCPT <Catherine_O'Brien at opusf
> raming.ca>: restricted characters in address
> 2005-06-06 17:57:58 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command from localhost (slone.mungewell.org) [127.0.0.1]
> ---
>
> Can anyone confirm whether "'" is/is not legal before I file a bug report.

It's your setup, not only does that work here but "restricted characters
..." does not even appear in the Exim source distribution - "Restricted
characters ..." does in the default config file, but the listed characters
it spits that out at does not include '.

I think this is the usual crap Debian bastardisation where they think they
are superior to the orignal author and just change things without thinking
about the consequences.

Just alter the RCPT ACL so it's not bollocks.