[Wylug-help] Shared event calendar

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 10:28:52 BST 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:43:13AM +0100, lee at leeevans.org wrote:
> have you looked at opengroupware?
>
> http://www.opengroupware.org/
>
> i don't like it personally - things that should be incredibly simple are
> sometimes quite the opposite

I agree, and calendaring is one of those things.

> - but it's a good package, and it does what you
> are looking for pretty well.

I am looking for something similar to what Felix is after, but have
been disappointed by just about every OSS package I've looked at
(including opengroupware).

 ... mostly because of Microsoft-like tight integration with one giant
groupware/crm/cms system or other.

Really, the only integration I want is with an interactive web gui and
email, i.e. so that I can do all the meeting setup / user busy stuff
that MS Outlook does via mutt or firefox, then publish/publicise by mail
and web.  Remote editing on an .ics calendar by mail and webdav would
probably do the trick, and is mostly what all the over-integrated
packages do anyway.

The nearest I've come to this are to use mozilla's calendar extensions
and evolution with an .ics file in a webdav repository.  Unfortunately
mozilla calendars (including sunbird and lightning) are only
half-cooked.  I haven't finished my exploration of evolution, but two
drawbacks are emerging: 1) a slightly confusing/confused
Novell/Exchange-centric world-view and 2) a complete lack of
documentation for newer features like the evolution server,
ldap/directories, etc.

If I've missed or misunderstood something, I'd be interested in any
other suggestions than opengroupware.

In particular, I'd be looking for an app which produced sound and easily
customisable html ... unlike opengroupware.

Dave