[WYLUG-help] still trying to get this machine to copy cds/dvds

Mike mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Wed Mar 2 18:10:19 GMT 2005

Hi, Folks,

I have still never managed to burn a CD or DVD using Linux and here are
some errors I am getting at latest attempt. First, when trying to create
the image with command mkisofs -r -J -o /tmp/image . (should that space
dot be there? I got it out of a magazine) I get a list of what it's
doing followed by a list of errors of which the following is the last
one, followed by a statement that I have used a wrong command:

mkisofs: Error:
./evolution/views/mail/custom_view-file:_home_mike_evolution_local_Inbox_subfolders_fsb_subfolders_branch.xml and ./evolution/views/mail/custom_view-file:_home_mike_evolution_local_Inbox_subfolders_fsb_subfolders_region.xml have the same Joliet name
bash: mkisofs:: command not found

Just to see what else is thrown up, using the command dvdrecord speed=2
dev=1,0,0 -v /tmp/img produces the following:

INFO: dvdrecord's functionality is now replaced by cdrecord
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Now, the same magazine suggests the bootloader will need to be modified,
and says append a line to lilo.conf append = "hdd=ide-scsi"

All very well, but I use grub so would that line work? I don't want
another disaster on my system. My /bott/grub/boot.conf reads:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 $1$ZN/8lWIe$wgF8K.56w.J/OV.zk1dUO/
title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.12_FC2)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.12_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.12_FC2.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.6_FC2)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.3_FC2)
        root (hd0,0)

Should I amend it, and, if so, how?

Many thanks 'cos I know you guys will come to the rescue again! If you
need anything more in order to be able to help, please let me know.

Best regards,

Mike Goodman