[Wylug-help] email redirect in exim 3

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 14:11:13 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 11:19 am, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 10:55 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > if $header_subject: matches "ph*arm*ac*y"
> > then
> >   deliver spam at ringways.co.uk
> >   fail text "This message has been rejected since it has\n\
> > 	     the signature of a known SPAM in the header."
> >   seen finish
> > endif
>
> Don't do this.  The sender is always forged, and all you are doing is
> either:-
>       * Blocking up your queue with undeliverable bounce messages
>       * Spamming some innocent third party by sending them the
> bounces. There has been discussion as to whether EU computer misuse
> legislation could be used against you if you have your mail system
> configured in this way.
>
> There is no place on todays internet for accept and bounce, or for
> sending notifications (other than a SMTP reject) to spam or viruses.
> Both of these cause collateral spam and are generally hated - and
> allow your machine to be used as a spam or virus amplifier.
>
> You need to look at Exim4 or some other MTA which has SMTP time
> scanning cand rejection apabilities.
>
> 	Nigel.

So I have two options ?

1) just have a seen finish, which I understand silently drops the
message
or
2)  leave in the deliver spam at ringways.co.uk which will redirect the
message to my spam logger which selectively adds the domain to my ban
list.

Am I right, and if so, what are people's opinions on these two options?

--
Gary Stainburn