[Wylug-help] IP settings/basic help

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 11:10:13 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 Nov 2005 10:45, Roger Greenwood wrote:

> Yes the router was set to .1, but I changed it to .7 so it could
> connect at work. I can still log in to that if I use my laptop,
> wither direct cable or wireless.
>
> This must be a linux settings problem - my laptop is currently XP
> -:(

In that case it has to be something pretty basic.  Thinking aloud,

If XP can reach it, the physical side must be ok.  Do I understand that
you have two linux boxes and one XP laptop to connect to this router?
Do they all have the same physical layout - i.e. cable/wifi to router?
Can you clarify the layout of your LAN?  Do all boxes, linux and XP,
use static IP?

I can't think of anything that would stop you at pinging level if the IP
subnet was the same for all, as you say it is.  At the moment, all I
can suggest is that you patiently go through every setting possible on
the XP laptop that does connect, writing down the settings.  Hopefully
that will bring your attention to something that you have overlooked.

Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org