[Wylug-help] Linux Distro on Bootable USB Stick

Jason Lander jason at env.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 10:46:06 BST 2005

Dave,

> As soon as I thought of this, I realised that I don't know a generic way
> of specifying a USB-based kernel and root file system at a bootmanager
> prompt (LILO or Grub).

I'm not sure about identifying the kernel and initrd to be loaded -
although that should be on the bootable media anyway.

One possibility would be to label the USB root filesystem using e2label
and pass the label at the bootprompt. I think the syntax is

   root=LABEL=USB-ROOTFS   (or whatever you've used)

The kernel should be able to search all the available ext2/3 filesystems
until it finds one with that label.

- Jason