[Wylug-help] Linux Distro on Bootable USB Stick

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 11:18:56 BST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Smylers wrote:

>> Am I right in thinking that USB 1.1 is what people tried to market as
>> 'USB2',
>
> I think it was something like that.
>
>> so USB2 is not the same thing as 'USB 2.0'?
>
> I don't think there's a distinction between those two; I thought it was
> some other adjective which followed the number -- something like "2.0
> full speed" and "2.0 high speed".  But I can't remember which is which
> (see comment above).

USB 1.0 was pitched as USB.  USB 1.1 was a fairly silent update I think.  USB
2.0 was released which was faster.  Then they decided that people were being
confused as to what was compatible with what (as USB 1.0 wasn't compatible
with USB 2.0 devices).

So to clear it up they rebadged 1.1 to be 2.0 Full Speed.  Then they rebadged
the faster USB 2.0 as 2.0 Hi-Speed.  So that inspired decision means than Full
speed is in fact about 40 times slower than Hi-Speed.  I wonder what the next
version will be called...

jh

--
"He was my North, my South, my East and West; my working week, my Sunday rest;
  my noon, my midnight, my talk, my song; I thought that love would last