[Wylug-help] Which Version of Linux?

david powell dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 20:32:44 BST 2005

> Do _not_ partition any drive with an existing OS on it until you're
> really confident about your understanding of low-level drive formatting.
this is explained in the instalation manual that comes with suse and is easy
to follow

> Stick to your original plan of using a separate Linux hard drive.
yes better idea and if you use a boot floppy to boot linux then you dont have
to touch the windows boot sector

> All the mainstream distro installers will allow you to choose which
> drive to install Linux onto and will offer to install a bootloader for
> you in a sensible default configuration.
>
> The only vaguely 'tricky' decisions you have to make are:
>
>   1. Which bootloader to install.
>
>      Go for Grub.  It's more complex/powerful than LILO, but you don't
>      need to know anything about the complexity. The installer will
>      handle that for you with simple defaults.
ok grub if its on hard disk but if you want to create a boot floppy for linux
and not touch the mbr or boot sector then lilo will fit on a floppy

>   2. Which drive to install Grub on to.
>
>      The simplest option is to install it into the Windows drive's
>      Master Boot Record (MBR).  The distro installer should offer you
> sensible defaults, i.e. you boot directly into Grub and grub provides a
> menu where you can choose Windows or Linux.
if windows has a full drive allocated then dont try installing a boot loader
on it in any way , windows xp decides that its got the full drive so dosent
stick to the normal partition methods and uses part of the boot loader space
for other uses , so you get problems once you install grub on it

>      In the old days beginners preferred to put Grub on the secondary
>      (Linux) drive, because they were scared of rendering the whole
>      machine unbootable if they messed up the MBR on the primary
>      (windows) drive.
not that old realy  still happens

>      There is very little risk of this happening with a good modern
>      installer, it avoids all sorts of hassles with chaining Grub to the
>      crappy Windows bootloader, and even if things do go wrong it is
>      usually fairly straight forward to recover from. Just ask a mate or
>      on this list.
>
> Many people experiment with several distros before finally settling on
> the one that suits their particular needs, but I would endorse Smylers's
> view that beginners should choose the one that (level-headed and
> helpful) mates use.
tend to agree with this , be shure to try out the diferent window managers
kde and gnome , thay both have good points , and both look and feel diferent
you may like one over the other , as your used to windows think you will feel
more at home with kde but you may like gnome also , or some of th minimalist
ones like blackbox (good if you have a slow machine with little ram )

> If you are on your own, I'd recommend Ubuntu (or Kubuntu, the KDE
> desktop version).
>
> It provides a good balance between easy desktop installation (the
> Ubuntu-specific bits) and easy long term adminstration with a large
> package base (the underlying Debian bits).

one of the points i recommend suse for is the auto configuration on
installation
it seems to find and configure everything ok first time
network , internet , printer , sound , video , mouse etc ,
as well as having printed manuals that you wont get with a downloaded version
makes it ideal for a beginner

> Do not be put off by the reputation that Debian has for being a scary
> hackers' distro.  It's been a while since the reputation was fully
> justified and any remaining rough edges are pretty well hidden beneath
> the smooth surface of Ubuntu.
most distros are basicaly the same , same apps same core components
its down to the installers , update mechanisem's and other little tweeks

redhat seemed to be biased towardes gnome and some others to kde
suse provides both , whever distro you go for the applications will be the
same , and if its not then you should be able to download that application
from somewhare on the net

realy and i know you will find this in most places asking what is the best
distro usualy results in distro war where each prefers one over the other
but in the end its up to you
and the only way you will know is to try them all , i know thats not possible
but listen to the advice , any of the main distros should do , thay all have
pros and cons but if you start with one then you can try another later
you will then ether prefer the one you had or the new one

i recomend buying one in the first instance for one main reason it should have
a printed manual that will help you install it and set it up , and in the
case of suse in the manuals it also shows you some of the applications
remeber later it is possible to download some of the distros in full over the
net  so you can try and use them at no extra cost

and the cost of a linux distro in a box with manuals is about the same as a
good book on linux ,and there are lots (most of them biased towards a cut
down version of a linux distro that thay include with the book) but seldom
give install details in a genaral form that covers all distros

and its realy helpfull having the install info in a book infront of you rather
than needing a second machine to view online docs while installing

Dave