[Wylug-help] Which Version of Linux?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 10:45:24 BST 2005

On Tuesday 25 Oct 2005 00:30, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:14:42PM +0000, Smylers wrote:
>
> > I don't think you can
> > extrapolate from that a recommendation that trying out different
> > window environments should be a priority for a beginner.
>
> Absolutely!

On the subject of desktops, I suspect that most distros are biased
towards either kde or gnome.  My advice to a newbie would be to stick
to the one that your distro favours.  You can play with others when you
are more comfortable.

I think there is definitely meat in this thread for at least one newbie
session at wylug.  One thing I do recommend in the way of partitioning
is a separate /home partition, and this would not necessarily be done
by default in an installation.  I would also stress that to use the
distro's tools for partitioning is much better/safer than using
external tools.

I do like books, but find that 'linux' books are often so out of date by
the time they come to print that they are not very helpful.  So - we
should compile a list of places to look for help.  That would include
where to find the distro's installed documentation, how to find mailing
lists and wikis, and how to use google for troubleshooting - and
probably many others.

I'm sure that there are other things we should cover, though.

Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org