[Wylug-help] Wireless networking and Linux

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 11:17:08 BST 2005

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2005 10:51, gARetH baBB wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Dave Brotherstone wrote:
> > Many thanks for any pointers,
>
> The list archive, where there was a large-ish thread about a similar
> subject a few weeks ago.

You're probably thinking about my thread.  I'm not sure just how similar
it is.  I needed to extend my lan, and could not run another cable, but
there already was a cable point in the room in question.  I used that
to add a router/ap, then configured it as a switch only.  I now have
access both in XP and Mandriva to both lan and Internet.  I have this
box with a cable connection to the router and the laptop able to use
the wireless connection.  If I'm reading Dave aright, though, he'd
still have the problem of converting his downstairs access to RJ45.

BTW - I originally bought an Acer router - don't.  Ten days ago I sent
it back to Acer for the second time since I bought it in August.  It
seems that the software is badly flawed, and they are not attempting to
assess how long before I can have it back.  I told them that if they
could not fix it I want my money back, but I doubt if I'll get it.

I've now bought a D-Link 624+ from CCL.  It was cheaper than the Acer
and took only a few minutes to set up.  WPA-PSK is still a problem in
linux, though I understand that the latest versions have more or less
cracked it.  Since the new Mandriva is due out any day I'll look at it
as soon as I can.  WEP shouldn't be a problem, I think.

Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org