[Wylug-help] How to setup mysql??

Dave Brotherstone davegb at pobox.com
Wed Apr 12 01:27:07 BST 2006

On 11/04/06, Emon <contact_emon at gawab.com> wrote:

> [snip]

So.. does this mean mysql is ok???? If so why do I still get the
following error while trying to run mythtv...

*****************
> QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
> QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
> 2006-04-12 00:52:03.942 DB Error (KickDatabase):
> Query was:
> SELECT NULL;
> No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
> 2006-04-12 00:52:09.353 Unable to connect to database!
> 2006-04-12 00:52:09.353 Driver error was [1/1045]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
> Database error was:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> *****************

This is a user issue.  Somewhere in the configs for mythtv (never used it so
don't know where) will be a username / password to connect to mysql with.
The user is mythtv (ie. before the @ sign).  It's likely that you haven't
run the initialisation script for mythtv - there's probably a
mythtv.sqlscript (or similar) that you need to run in order to setup
the database,
user and permissions.  Have a look through the docs and see if you can see a
command like

mysql < mythtv.sql
or whatever the script is called - also search for any *.sql files.  If you
have run the script, then the user hasn't been configured correctly.  You
need to put the correct password in the config file.  If you need to reset
it, do the following :

mysql mythtv
mysql> grant all priviledges on mythtv.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified
by 'NEWPASSWORD';
mysql> flush priviledges;

Syntax maybe a bit off as I'm not in front of it, and it's not something
I've done in mysql for a while!

hth,
Dave.