[Wylug-help] X over ssh

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue Apr 25 10:55:21 BST 2006

Don Magee writes:

> Jim Jackson wrote:
>
> > What do you get when doing
> >
> >  echo $DISPLAY

Did Jim write that?  I don't seem to have such a message from him[*0].
Anyway:

> The DISPLAY variable isn't set.

That's definitely a problem then.

> /etc/ssh/sshd_config has a line
>
> X11Forwarding yes

OK, so it isn't that but it's likely something similar.

> I tried setting the DISPLAY variable manually but that didn't make any
> difference.

It wouldn't; an empty $DISPLAY is a symptom of the problem, not the
cause.

Try connecting with ssh -Xvv and see if the verbose output contains
anything about trying an X connection.

On the server try stopping sshd and running it from the command line as
sshd -dd before you connect; this will make it only respond to one
connection and then stop, but will emit debugging output for that
connection.

  [*0]  And as a side point I note that the archive of this list hasn't
  been updated since February:

    http://list.wylug.org.uk/pipermail/wylug-help/

Smylers