[Wylug-help] Disk cloning

David Noble dnoble7 at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Aug 1 15:57:43 BST 2006

Help again please,
                             My 75yr. old sister has a 500Mhz PC with a
4Gb hd which is almost full.
I have a 40Gb hd and an external USB drive caddy for it and would like
to clone her existing O$
to the big drive.  ( OK I know it's a Windows job but  I have got her
using Thunderbird ! and
hope to demonstrate the powers of Linux )  I use Mepis and have the
Mepis Live disc also
Knoppix and Mandrake Move.  Presumeably the USB disc will be mounted as
sda .
                           I've briefly Googled and seen reference to
doing this from the command
line with dd but am not sure how exactly to use this.  Is there a
program to do what I want?
                          I intend partioning the bigger drive with
Gparted into 2  sections and use
the second one later for a linux installation.  Should the first
partition for the clone be formatted
first with FAT32 or left empty ?
                                                   TIA   David