[Wylug-help] Mozilla vs IE CSS differences

Dave Hassett dave at behemoth.plus.com
Fri Dec 15 00:50:56 GMT 2006

Hi Gary,

I think you are falling foul of IE's lack of support for the
"border-spacing" CSS property, and this is making your tables render
differently.

http://www.stylegala.com/features/css-reference/border-spacing.htm

Only Gecko (NN6+/Firefox) and Opera support this border-spacing feature.

There are some generic problems with the CSS too I think. You have a
missing semi-colon on the font line (but I'm not sure whether this would
have affected things or not). You need a comma between the CSS
selectors, and the `#dman` bit needs repeating too. i.e. "#dman tr,
#dman td" rather than just "#dman tr td".  See here for further information:

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectutorial/rules_group_sel.htm

An easy fix might be to use the "border-collapse" property instead, then
set the border thickness manually. You loose that "3D" feel to the
tables, but it will at least render identically in both browsers. Also,
ensure you are not specifying a `border="1"` attribute on your HTML
table tag, since that may conflict with the CSS styling.

Here is a test HTML and CSS file which works for me (change the
'#CCCCCC', light grey, colour to whatever you like).

test.css:-
---------------8<---------------
table#dman
{
	font-size: 10pt;
	font-family: Arial, "New Century Schoolbook", sans-serif;
	border: 2px solid #CCCCCC;
	text-align: center;
	border-collapse: collapse;
}

#dman th, #dman td
{
	border: 2px solid #CCCCCC;
	padding: 5px;
}
---------------8<---------------

test.html:-

  <head>
   <title>Table Test</title>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="test.css" />
  </head>

I hope this helps.

Many thanks,

Dave Hassett