[Wylug-help] KDE: Launch App via keyboard shortcut

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 21:44:47 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:06:41AM +0000, Andreas Erbe wrote:
> In the COntrol Centre [SuSE name, forgot what it is in Kubuntu], goto Regional
> & Accessibility -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Command Shortcuts. You can select
> your "half dozen most used apps" from the list and assign keyboard shortcuts
> to them.

Thanks Andreas.

While I probably aught to have seen the "Command Shortcuts" tab, behind
the "Shortcut Schemes" tab, I can't help feeling that this might be
another case of KDE overloading its config dialogue boxes.

... plus, I'd have thought that actually launching apps from the
keyboard aught to come prior to "Shortcut Schemes" as a candidate for
the default tab.

I'm certain that I'll get comfortable with this, and actually like it
once I'm more familiar with KDE, I can't help thinking that the Gnome
approach is better for the beginner, i.e.  provide a small number
of dialogues with a limited number of basic options in the default GUI,
but let experienced users set their own stuff in gconf-editor.

Dave