[Wylug-help] Recovering old plone/zope data

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 22:09:39 GMT 2006

Hi,

Some months ago I tinkered with running several plone sites.

For reasons too complicated to explain here, I mothballed the server
concerned for about 6 months.

I've just re-awakened, and upgraded it.

Unfortunately, I didn't think about the plone sites until after the
upgrade, i.e. until I tried to access them and got a series of apache
errors.

It looks like the current versions of plone and/or zope are incompatible
with the old data.

I'm guessing that the old data is still there in the zope DB, but I am at
a bit of a loss about where to start in terms of migrating the data to
the current versions of zope/plone ... or merely extracting the data
in a usable form.

Such migration docs as I've found, tend to assume that you:

  1. Know which version you are migrating from

  2. Are migrating single steps, i.e. the last version to the current
  one.

Needless to say, I can't remember which version I was using previously,
so I don't know whether or not I need a single step migration. I suspect
the data may be from 2-3 versions back.

So, does anyone know:

  1. How I might identify the versions of plone/zope that the old data
  conforms to?

  2. How I might query the old database without knowing its version?

Dave