[Wylug-help] wifi adaptor for laptop

Dave Roberts dave.roberts at unisonfree.net
Tue Feb 7 22:11:10 GMT 2006

Mike
In desperation you could try ndiswrapper which allows you to use a
windows driver on Linux. I got it to work on my laptop after making a
similarly unsuitable wifi card purchase. Info can be found at:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

The link below lists the cards supported:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

Below is an extract from the list which suggests that your card is a
possible:

Card: NETGEAR WG111 version 2 802.11g Wireless USB2.0 Adapter

    * Chipset: Prism54 (Intersil 3886 and NetChip NET2280) or
    * Chipset: ? (Intersil 3887 without NetChip NET2280)
    * usbid: 0846:4240 (both#*Chipsets !)
    * Driver: Netgear windows driver Version: NETGEAR, Inc.,10/05/2004,
      2.1 from http://www.netgear.com or shipped with the setup CD. To
      get the driver, unzip it. The ndis drivers are in the ndis
      directory. Used kernel Running Slackware v10.1 (kernel 2.6.10)
      ndiswrapper ver 1.1rc3 . There is a native driver for Prism54 that
      is working on USB support. View its status at Prism54.org
      <http://www.prism54.org>
    * Other: Works nearly well (several daily crashes in Summer 2005).
    * Distro-specific: Debian Sarge 2.6.8.1, Ndiswrapper 0.10
      Distro-specific: Debian Sid 2.6.8.X, Ndiswrapper 0.12+1.0rc2-1,
      without rfmon
    * Other project without ndiswrapper :
      http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb/ (seems incomplete in january
      2006 - not supporting WEP or WPA).

Good luck!

Dave

Mike Goodman wrote:

>Hi, Folks,
>
>I have an Acer Aspire 3002LC and I need to enable it for wi-fi for an
>exhibition tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. I called CCL Computers and asked
>which of their offerings would be suitable and was told the Netgear
>WG111v2 - which upon opening the box has only Windoze drivers and the
>Netgear site is clear about being a fan of Billionaire Bill only.
>
>There are confusing articles on the web, so not sure which to follow.
>So, if anyone can reply very quickly, please let me know if:
>a) you have experience with this piece of kit and whether I can
>configure it easily (and quickly) on my FC4-driven Aspire 3002LC or
>b) if you know a Linux-friendly supplier of such goodies locally (say,
>10 mile or so radius) to Batley?
>
>Oh, and for anyone not already aware, I do _not_ recommend CCL
>Computers' sales staff for hardware advice. This guy knew the need was
>urgent and still gave out misleading claptrap.
>
>Many thanks and best regards,
>
>Mike

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message was clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0606-2, 07/02/2006
Tested on: 07/02/2006 20:38:59