[Wylug-help] wifi adaptor for laptop

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Feb 8 12:51:48 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:39:34PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 Feb 2006 18:56, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 Feb 2006 15:18, Mike Goodman wrote:
> > > Oh, and for anyone not already aware, I do _not_ recommend CCL
> > > Computers' sales staff for hardware advice. This guy knew the need
> > > was urgent and still gave out misleading claptrap.
> >
> > I have as much faith in them as I have in other sales staff - not
> > much. However, when in doubt I march into the support section and ask
> > to talk to one of the support staff.  They can usually muster one
> > that knows what you are talking about.  They do have one or two linux
> > users, but only one or two, I think.
> >
> Just a further note - I never thought I'd be recommending PCWorld, but
> in Huddersfield PCWorld they have at least one sales person who speaks
> linux.

After recent experiences, I would *not* recommend PC World.

They have a policy of re-shrinkwrapping returned goods and selling them
as new.

I bought a wireless adaptor from them which was missing various parts
such as manuals yet it was shrinkerapped and put back on the shelf with
the new ones. It had an admin password set, and had splashes of
coffee on it.

I demanded a refund but was told that all they would do was provide
replacement accessories, pointing to a little sticker that said
'pre-owned product'. I was annoyed to say the least.

Also, I'd bet that the Linux chap at Huddersfield wouldn't go as far as
to claim compatibility with Linux on any item. That would make it part
of the contract of sale and give you grounds for a refund if you
couldn't get it to work.

James