[Wylug-help] Running 32 bit apps on 64 bit Debian

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 17:08:55 GMT 2006

Can anyone offer advice on the following problem?

I use unison for synchronising work on my staging machines with production
servers. It's a nice rsync style tool which works over ssh and has served me
well for a number of years. The only glitch I've ever had with it is when the
source and target machine processors have a different integer size (32bit one
end, 64 at the other).
Up until today, all the machines on which this has been a problem have been
running SuSE, and the fix has been to stick the unison binary from the 32 bit
version of SuSE onto the 64 bit machine. This has worked without problem.

Today, I've been in a situation where the remote 64 bit machine I need to talk
to is running Debian Sarge. If I stick the unison binary from the 32 bit
version of Sarge onto the 64 bit machine and try to run it, I get a file not
found error - I suspect due to the absence of some library or other.

Can anyone advise how to get the 32 bit unison working on the 64 bit Debian
machine?

Thanks
--
Phil Driscoll