[Wylug-help] Mounting a networked MS-Win file system

Trevor Noland trevor at amaro.es
Mon Feb 20 18:05:46 GMT 2006

I want to access files on PCs running various versions of MS Windows from my
Linux machine. I hoped to be able to mount a file system, then open, read,
and write to the PC from programs running in the Linux machine as though
they were local, but I'm not getting it.

My Linux is pretty old and doesn't know anything about the option "-t
smbfs", but recognises "-t nfs" if that is any help.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is something very simple that I'm missing.

I've read all I can understand about "mount" and "fstab" and "hosts.allow"
(to which I've added the IPs of the Windows machines I want to access), but
to no avail. I must be too thick.

Can anyone tell this newbie what to do please?

Thanks,
Trevor.

P.S. - All these machines are in an ethernet LAN, not on the Internet.