[Wylug-help] "Your system may not be bootable"

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Jan 16 17:36:20 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:50:06PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
[snip]

> Is there any way to ensure that grub is used when I reboot?  I'm sure
> there must be, but don't know where to look.

Become root, and run 'grub' to get the grub prompt.

Type root (hdX,Y)

... where X and Y are the drive and partition numbers for where /boot
lives, ie: /dev/hda1 -> (hd0,0) , /dev/hdc4 -> (hd2,3)

Type setup (hdX)

... where X is the drive letter you want to install the bootloader to.

So, if you have /boot on your root partition, and that's /dev/hda1, you
want to run: root (hd0,0) then setup (hd0)

James