[Wylug-help] V-CD problem

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 01:40:49 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:51:20PM +0000, Emon wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am new to the list.
>
> I am a newbie running Slackware10.2 with KDE desktop.
>
> I am having trouble playing a particular VCD, first I mounted
> the VCD, which went ok, then tried playing the file
> "/mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat" with gxine but it gave me the
> following error.
>
> ************
> xine engine failed to start.
>
> No demuxer found - stream format not recognised.
> ************
>
> Then I tried to copy the file, but KDE gave me the following
> error
>
> ***********
> Cannot read file /mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat
> ***********
>
> So I tried this in the console & it gave me the following error
>
> ************
> jadukor at magic-box:~$ file /mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat
> /mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat: ERROR: cannot read
> `/mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat' (Input/output error)
> jadukor at magic-box:~$
> ***********
>
> So reluctantly I switched to XP & tried to play the file with
> PowerDVD5, and it played fine.
>
> Then I tried to copy the file to my HDD, which also went fine; I
> was unable to do any of these under Linux!!
> Then tried playing the file again from my HDD under Linux with
> gxine, this time it played fine.
>
> So..... what has gone wrong??

Either xxine doesn't recognise the file as MPEG-1 (VCD) or you haven't
installed a codec/decoder plugin to enable xine to decode MPEG-1.

Have you tried the following?

  cat avseq*.dat | xine stdin://

Have you tried viewing the VCD with other Linux players, e.g. mplayer,
vlc (videolan), gstreamer, etc? With and without mounting the VCD?

Did you (or someone else) create this file with ULEAD/NERO (or similar
Windows program) by any chance? Neither are particularly VCD standard
compliant.

Have you tried copying the file/s and changing the file extension to mpg/mpeg ?

Googling for avseq##.dat provides several contradictory accounts.

Some suggest that avseq##.dat are pointers/shortcuts to the
actual files rather than the data files themselves.

Dave