[Wylug-help] Problem came when I tried to use Samba

Richard Griffin rickgriffin at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 20 01:40:33 GMT 2006

Hello everyone,

New to the list and fairly new to Linux. Have installed on three PCs with no
problems and was impressed with the speed and ease of installation. Problem
came when I tried to use Samba.

Although I can see the Linux workgroup (default as Mygroup) on the Windows
network it gives me an access denied message, even if I logon as an account
called "root" on Windows (password set to the same as the root account on
Linux.)

I have tried setting up Samba by using entirely command lines and (on a
different machine) the graphical tool SWAT. Testparm gives no errors, Hosts
allowed is set to suitable IP addresses, test folders created and shared.

I should perhaps explain that the problem I have experienced occurs on two
different networks, one at work, where DHCP runs on a Windows 2003 server
and secondly at home where IP addresses come from a D-Link router. In both
cases are IP addresses seem to be delivered okay to all the Linux
workstations.

Distribution is Fedora 4.

As I said I'm new to the list so please let me know if you like more (or
less) details

Many thanks

Richard