[WYLUG-help] "lost" hdd

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Sun Jan 29 19:54:07 GMT 2006

Thanks once again, Dave. I now have a course of action I can pursue. In
case it's any consolation, the LVM filesystem is there because the FC4
installer put it there and not because of some misguided plan dreamt up
by me.

I asked:
> Should I start by using fdisk to partition hdb? If so, what partion(s)
> should I create?

By this I meant should I partition hdb as ext3 which is how Sarge's
installer partitions by default, to which the answer would appear to be
yes. And should I have a swap file in there, to which the answer would
appear to be no.

The purpose is to have a file, print and database server for work and a
web server upon which to test sites prior to uploading them to the
remote, publicly visible, server. A subsidiary purpose is to have a
properly networked system from which I can learn over time, rather than
having to do a headless chicken imitation every time a problem or
project appears - the current imitation is due to a project with a
rapidly looming deadline.

So, thanks to new advice from Dave Fisher (and apologies to him for
being so exasperating) and some earlier advice on using apt from James
Holden, I can get on with the project and worry about hdb later. As Dave
correctly points out, I don't need it just yet. And hda would appear to
have the system installed on it as required. Except that it's installed
MySQL-5 instead of -4.1 ;)

Many thanks.

Mike