[Wylug-help] Fedora, Yum, Pup etc.

David Whiteley D.L.Whiteley at ee.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 11:36:31 BST 2006

I am being encouraged to become friends with the Fedora distribution.  I
have encountered a confusion, and would like a clue.

I have a system, and have it set up with Fedora.  It is behind a
firewall, and YUM is working, and accessing packages in the local and
remote repositories.  To achieve this I had to add a proxies.sh file
to /etc/profile.d, in order to create the http_proxy, HTTP_PROXY,
ftp_proxy etc. envars.

As I am used to Debian, and the joys of aptitude, and
"http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages" I am rather lost with the raw
yum.  I am investigating some of the pretty package managers.

So far everything I have tried except yum has failed. eg. Pup.

The only clue I have is a message "cannot find a valid baseurl for repo
core".

This would suggest that I have my repo configuration wrong - but yum
works!

Clues please?

Dave

--
Dave Whiteley
The School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
d.l.whiteley at ee.leeds.ac.uk
0113 343 2059