[WYLUG-HELP]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jul 17 15:54:29 BST 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Mike Goodman wrote:

> I've got around it, temporarily at least, by installing an AIX2
> softphone. After fixing the permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer it
> all works fine now.

What was wrong with the /dev/dsp and mixer permissions?

All the devices should be chowned automatically.
/etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms lists:

<sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/midi* \
         /dev/mixer* /dev/sequencer* \
         /dev/sound/* /dev/beep \
         /dev/snd/*

<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root

Which as you'd hope leaves you with permissions like this (FC5 logged in as
prefect):

crw------- 1 prefect root 14, 3 Jul 17 10:24 /dev/dsp
crw------- 1 prefect root 14, 0 Jul 17 10:24 /dev/mixer

jh

--
"When we turn to one another for counsel we reduce the number of our enemies."
                                                      -- Kahil Gibran