[Wylug-help] peer to peer wifi programming

Yiannis Gatsoulis menig at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 14:43:11 BST 2006

Jim Jackson wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Yiannis Gatsoulis wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to have a server-client communication between two PCs using wifi.
>> So far I can do that by using an intermediate router with DHCP. What I
>> would like is to take the router out of the loop, in other words have
>> peer to peer communication between the server and the client with static
>> IPs. Any clues on how to do that?
>>

> Yes you need a plan :-)
>
> Draw up a list of the machines you are configuring Choose a network
> number, the prefix for the host numbers you'll allocate e.g. 192.168.1.0
> Then assign fixed host number (to replace the "0" bit in the network
> address) to the machines - I do that on my network.
>
> How you do that depends on your distro. Most have a config widget - untick
> the dhcp box and enter the IP address you've assigned for that machine.
>
> Enter the IP address and name details in /etc/hosts on each machine and
> you can use names instead of numeric addresses.
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim. I only have two machines for the time being.... and I have
already done so.... But when I run the client program to connect to the
server I am getting an error "no route to host".

gARetH baBB wrote:

> Use AdHoc.

Thanks Garreth. I am sorry I do not know what is ad-hoc. By having
looking on the web a bit I found that maybe you mean to set the wifi
card on ad-hoc mode which according to the man pages of iwconfig it
means "network composed of one cell and without access point"). I did
set the server pc to ad-hoc and static IP but still the client cannot
connect with the same error message "no route to host". Maybe I need the
client pc in adhoc too?