[Wylug-help] Different Content to Different Displays Under X

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 10:50:11 BST 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Jason Lander wrote:

>> Is this even theoretically possible?
>
> Theoretically yes. I think it is part of the design of X that a `display'
> may have more than monitor.
>
> The full form of the DISPLAY variable is
>
>   hostname:displaynumber.screennumber
>
> Quoting the X manual page.
>
>  displaynumber
>         The  phrase "display" is usually used to refer to
>         collection of monitors that share  a  common  keyboard  and
>         pointer
>  screennumber
>         Some displays share a single keyboard and pointer among two
>         or more  monitors. Since each monitor has its own set of windows,
>         each screen is assigned a screen number (beginning at 0)
>
> This seems to be controlled via the ServerLayout section in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Certainly it's the norm for laptop graphics chipsets to support more than one
display these days (panel + vga connector).  With nVidia you'd just have to
setup TwinView, and with ATI there's a tool (fglrxconfig I think).  Other
chipset, other tricks.

jh

--
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a
  rainy Sunday afternoon."                            -- Susan Ertz